The 2-Day Training course is focused on systematic and effective use of X-Ways Investigator.
X-Ways Investigator is a powerful investigation/document analysis/report generation application for law enforcement, intelligence agencies, and the private sector. It runs under Windows. It was designed for investigators who are specialized in areas such as accounting, building laws, money laundering, corruption, homicide, child pornography, etc., also for investigative analysts, agents, attorneys, paralegals, prosecutors, internal and external auditors, for the analysis part of computer forensics and electronic discovery.
X-Ways Investigator is based on X-Ways Forensics and is a subset thereof. It’s simplified user interface offers much fewer technical options than WinHex and X-Ways Forensics, so that investigators can better concentrate on the matter at hand.
- Case management, logging.
- Automated reports that can be imported and further processed by any other application that understands HTML, such as MS Word.
- File viewer for hundreds of file formats included.
- Ability to print documents with all file metadata on a cover page.
- Can natively read media/images with these file systems: FAT12/16/32, TFAT, exFAT, NTFS, Ext2/3/4, Next3®, CDFS, UDF, HFS, HFS+, ReiserFS, Reiser4, UFS, UFS2.
- Can interpret raw image files and .e01 evidence files.
- A natural choice to examine the files assorted in evidence file containerswith X-Ways Forensics.
- Ability to run powerful keyword searches, both conventional and index searches (indexes created with X-Ways Forensics).
- Search hit listings with context preview, e.g. like “all search hits for the search terms A, B, and D in MS Word and MS PowerPoint files below \Documents and Settings with last access date in 2004”.
- Gallery view for pictures, Calendar view for timestamps.
- Ability to associate comments about files for inclusion in the report or for filtering.
- Ability to tag files and add them to customized report tables of notable items.
- Directory tree on the left, ability to explore and tag directories including all their subdirectories.
- Powerful dynamic filters based on filename, true file type, timestamps, file size, comments, report tables.
- Recursive view of all existing and deleted files in all subdirectories.
- Skin color detection (e.g. a gallery view sorted by skin tone contents greatly accelerates a search for traces of child pornography).
- Interface for external analysis programs such as DoublePics that for example can recognize known pictures (even if stored in a different format or altered!) and can return the classification (“CP”, “relevant”, “irrelevant”) to X-Ways Investigator.