Forensic Image and Video Enhancement
Amped FIVE is the leading forensic image and video enhancement software and is acclaimed for its simplicity, ease-of-use and completeness. Amped FIVE is specifically designed for investigative, forensic, military and security applications. Its primary purpose is to provide a complete solution to process and restore, clarify, and analyze images and video in a simple, fast, and precise way.
Amped FIVE is used by the world’s top forensic labs, law enforcement, government, military, and security organizations. Municipalities, court experts and private companies working in the surveillance and forensic fields also benefit from this revolutionary solution.
“It’s nice to finally have a robust, standalone piece of software designed with one sole purpose in mind by people who understand what we do: Forensic Video
Maintaining the original evidence integrity is a key element in the design of Amped FIVE. In the law enforcement arena, courts, judges, prosecutors, and defense attorneys can sense the weakness of evidence and exclude it if there is any manipulation that has been done. The current judicial trend in admission of digital evidence shows that undocumented or modified files have a strong chance of being excluded. If this is the key evidence in a case, the case is likely to be lost.
With Amped FIVE, our core philosophy in designing the product is that everything is done by simply applying a filter. This means that no rendering, modifying, altering or disturbing original evidence is done. Whether you are loading a video, exporting a sequence, applying some denoising, selecting frames, taking measurements and so on… This concept of filtering allows for very fast, elegant, and predictable workflow. For each step in the process, every filter takes as input the image or video generated by the previous filter and, after the processing, passes the result to their output filter (if any). You can even modify a filter and see the real time output effects on another one: in this way you can see how modifying some values on a previous filter will modify the final result. This is very effective especially for complex problems and long chains of filters.
Trial and error is often the most common scientific method that is applied in forensic analysis. Experimenting with different filters and settings is done to find the right filter group, settings, or combination of steps to correct unique problems. With most other forensic image processing software, this is a very long process that often must be restarted if one filter has to be changed or results are not optimal; then restarted again should the results of the second (or third or fourth, etc) result prove to be less than ideal. We have designed the architecture of Amped FIVE with this in mind. Reviewing and modifying any step of the processing is as quick and easy and as simple as replacing, deleting or moving filters anywhere in the chain. In this way Amped FIVE guarantees speed, effectiveness and scientific rigor.
Analyze. Restore. Enhance. Certify.
Amped FIVE is not a simple one-click video enhancement tool with limited settings or just a plug-in for photo editing software. It’s a complete software solution that addresses any possible need in the analysis of images and videos for investigations, surveillance, and forensic applications. With Amped FIVE, a forensic investigator can import and convert footage, analyze its format, clarify content, take measurements of people or objects and then generate a technical report for the courtroom.
The complete workflow
- Import any type of image, video or sequence of images. If the video is an unsupported proprietary DVR format we can easily import it in FIVE with no loss of quality (uncompressed ) with the new DVR capture tool.
- Analyze specific details of your images (like EXIF metadata) and your videos (like video codec and encoding type of every single frame).
- Speed workflow on long videos by locating the frames of interest with the new motion detection and select only the useful ones either in an interval or in random positions.
- Process the frames combining more than 70 available filters in unlimited ways, in order to restore specific defects or clarify image features.
- Take specific linear and 3-dimensional measurements on the images or video frames.
- Save the result of the processing as image, video or sequence. You can even show side by side every original frames with its enhanced version to illustrate your work.
- Automatically generate a report containing the scientific methodology of the processing and all the processing steps. The report provides the scientific references for each filter used, the settings, and specifics to that particular frame or image. This reporting feature is extremely valuable for US users in Frye or Daubert states.
50 things you can do with FIVE
- Load, save, process, and analyze single images, sequences of pictures, or videos from a VMS or external source using the same methodology and software.
- Instant results: add, configure, move, and modify an unlimited number of filters, in real time even while playing video.
- Automatically apply the same filters sequence to different files to avoid resetting all filters for different images from the same source or environment.
- Apply the filters only to a region of interest of the image, or select frames of interest in a sequence.
- Quickly seek for events in a long duration video with the integrated motion detection filter.
- Automatically remove duplicates or mismatched frames.
- Automatically demultiplex multi-camera video feeds.
- Flexibility with technology: choose between classical standard techniques or latest state-of-the-art algorithms.
- Precise control over images: operate with pixel level precision on selections and measurements on images. Most of the filters can work on the whole image, on a static selection or can automatically track a moving target.
- Crop quad multiplexed videos.
- Document evidence that wins: Amped FIVE can automatically generate detailed reports so that the investigations process is clearly documented. The report documents scientific methodology and includes all the technical details of the processing and relevant frames and processing steps selected by the user. This is something mandatory for Frye or Daubert states in the United States
- View original and processed image or video side by side to easily show the results of your work.
- Hide sensitive details in the video by blurring, darkening or pixelating selected areas.
- Highlight sensitive details in the video blurring, darkening or pixelating selected areas.
- Load image files from the most common formats, such as bitmap, jpeg, tiff, targa, jpeg2000, png.
- Load video files from almost any digital format, sourced from NTSC, PAL and almost any other system such as mobile phones and internet content; users can decode most video formats by using internal libraries and codecs.
- Amped FIVE’s complete internal library allows decoding even if your system does not have the required codecs installed.
- Choose the video decoding engine to use for every single file. FIVE is the only tool which integrates all video frameworks available on Windows (DirectShow, Video For Windows, QuickTime, FFMS, FFMPEG).
- Visualize the type of encoding of the current frame (I, P, B).
- The customizable player allows to define personal frame step for faster seeking or to use the mouse wheel as a jog control.
- Process a live feed from any DirectShow compatible device.
- Amped FIVE is the only video enhance system integrated with VMS systems. For Milestone XProtect users, FIVE allows to process live stream, archived video or exported files in native format without any conversion or quality loss.
- For unsupported proprietary DVR formats, FIVE integrates a very easy tool that allows to capture the screen without any loss of quality.
- Convert a sequence of static images to present and control as if it were video. Transcode video to a different format or transform it into a sequence of images or vice versa.
- Multiple video frames may be selected in either a consecutive or random sequence.
- FIVE is secure. You can easily check for unauthorized modifications by verifying the file hash-code to maintain strict evidence handling procedures to avoid contamination that could lose a case.
- Verify image EXIF and hash-code data.
- Standard image editing features allow the user to instantaneously apply basic editing functions such as crop, flip, color to grayscale conversions, channel extraction, zoom and image rotation.
- Correct geometric distortions caused by wide angle lenses. Amped FIVE also allows the user to convert images taken from an omnidirectional camera to a panoramic format.
- Correct the perspective in order to see the picture of the scene from a different angle.
- Resize the image with advanced algorithms, which ensures a higher definition than would be obtained with common interpolation algorithms used in other software.
- Convert an interlaced video into a progressive one without loss of information.
- Shift the fields of an interlaced video to view better moving objects.
- Improve contrast and brightness manually, adjusting intensity curves, or speed workflow with automatic enhancement algorithms.
- Analyze images with various threshold and edge detection filters.
- Measure real world distances, heights, and lengths from images or video frames using FIVE’s advanced measuring tool.
- Improve image details (unsharp masking, laplacian sharpening).
- Reduce noise (averaging, Gaussian, median, bilateral, Wiener smoothing filters).
- Apply custom kernel filters.
- Reduce compression artifacts with deblocking algorithm.
- Remove interferences or image background (such as banknote watermark) with Fourier filter.
- Correct optical and motion blur resulting from fast movement or lack of focus.
- Correct the blur caused by air turbulence on long range surveillance videos.
- Remove noise from a video with temporal smoothing and frame integration.
- Improve shaking video with local or global image stabilization.
- Correct and modify the camera viewpoint in different frames with perspective alignment.
- Improve the resolution of the frames with a super resolution algorithm.
- Improve a video with bad weather conditions (fog, rain, flat light, sandstorm, etc.).
- Improve backlight images.
- View 360 dome camera images as panoramic.
Why choose Amped FIVE over other solutions?
- FIVE is a single complete set of tools designed from top to bottom for forensic and security professionals: all needed functions in one software package for both static image and video. FIVE is not a plugin for commercial photo editing software or a bloated video editor. FIVE is the first 21st century product suite designed specifically as a tool for your job: it has all the features you need and none that you don’t.
- Automatic report generation, including the sequence of all operations applied to all files, the used parameters and a detailed description of their usage and implementation, plus the images of most important frames or processing steps chosen by the user. In the United States, if you are in a Frye or Daubert state, this is one of the most important features in FIVE when evidence goes to court since it is an automatic documentation of scientific methodology used.
- FIVE is fast. With our workflow design, you can apply filters in any unlimited sequence: drag and drop, add, delete, modify, move, copy, paste, etc. You have the ability to modify any parameter of any operation in any order; the results can be seen immediately. With FIVE, everything is done in real time to dramatically reduce time and effort. This can be done even while playing a video file or viewing a live feed.
- FIVE is high performance. FIVE has tools to target any type of data, from CCTV recordings and dash cam video to crime scene digital photos and latent fingerprint enhancement. With one uniform user interface, you can work in the same way with single images, sequences of images and videos.
- Support for any image and video format without additional expensive format tools and configuration filters. FIVE is ready to work, straight from the box, and will work on your current workstation, laptop, or PC. If we do not have the native codecs to play the video file, no problem! We have a built in utility to capture video from the DVR console or player quickly and easily. We are also directly compatible with Milestone® and a few other high end video management servers.
- With more than 70 different filters included as standard to enhance and analyze images and videos, FIVE is both budget friendly and a complete package. FIVE does not require additional plug-ins or third party software.
- FIVE has features you cant find in any other software: choice of multiple video decoding engines, integration and compatibility with some high end surveillance video management systems, alignment of images taken from different perspectives, deblurring of long range videos affected by air turbulence.
- Built-in security and robust file authentication to detect any tampering or unauthorized modifications or changes so that all evidence is secure.
- Available in multiple languages as standard (English, Spanish, Chinese, Italian, French, Polish, others available soon).
- FIVE will work with your platform. Because FIVE is compatible with standard Windows PCs, the time and cost to deploy are minimal. As hardware standards change quickly, FIVE does not bind you to a platform that will soon be obsolete or cannot be upgraded without major expense (if at all). Amped FIVE shows a clear advantage over competitors in cost effectiveness in budget analysis based on total life-cycle cost.